Five Tips for long-distance Dads to create meaningful moments any day with their children – no matter where they are:
- Plan a family meal together: Sit down with your children over a Skype video call and enjoy a meal together. It doesn’t need to be the exact same meal or food (especially if there is a time difference), but having this time to eat and catch-up will make it feel like you are actually together despite the distance.
- Read a bedtime story: Have a young child? Before the little one goes to bed – on any mobile device like a Surface 2 or an iOS smartphone – read them their favorite story over Skype so your voice can help soothe them to sleep. It’ll help make you feel a part of your child’s nighttime ritual. Have a budding reader? Let him or her read to you!
- Record a sweet video message: Send your kids a Skype video message reminding them of why you love them. They can replay your virtual sentiments whenever they just need a quick (up-to-three minute) dose of dad.
- Make it a family reunion: With Skype group video chat (now free on Xbox One, Windows Desktop and Mac), the whole family can be involved – especially if college-age sons and daughters, even grandparents, are scattered across the country (or just in different rooms of the house).
- Get some (more) credit: With a Skype gift card you can stay connected to your kids whether they are off at summer-camp or studying abroad, whenever and on whatever device.