The new store will feature bring back some of FAO's classic retail experiences including the iconic dance-on-piano from BIG, magic shows, a baby adoption center, a kids' grocery shopping experience, and a build-your-own RC race car station, among others. It's been promised that many of these experiences will be duplicated with FAO Schwarz international partner locations, offering the world the one-of-a-kind toy retail experience the brand is known for.
FAO Schwarz Reveals International Expansion Plans:
- In partnership with Canada's Hudson's Bay, all 89 stores across the country will open pop-up FAO Schwarz shops, ranging in size from 300 to 1,200 square feet. Items will also be available at www.thebay.com.
- A 27,000 square foot flagship will open in China via Kidsland China in Beijing slated for March of 2019. Additional stores and pop-ups will open over the next few years.
- In partnership with Selfridges in London, UK, the team will open a pop-up for the holidays in early November 2018 as part of their "Selfridges Rocks" Christmas Shop.
- Spain's El Corte Ingles will open an FAO Schwarz pop-up in Madrid in early November 2018 through the holidays.
- In partnership with Australia's Myer Australia, FAO Schwarz will open a pop-up in their two flagship stores in Sydney and Melbourne as a part of their Giftorium Event starting in late October.
"The expansion to these countries further exemplifies FAO Schwarz as a global kids lifestyle brand," said David Conn, CEO of ThreeSixty Brands, owners of FAO Schwarz. "FAO Schwarz was built on in-store experiences, which has made it a global destination over the years. In partnering with these amazing companies around the world, we are able to bring back that wonderment of toys and a deep nostalgia for the larger than life experience that FAO Schwarz has offered to parents and children alike for over 150 years."
While we have a few of the FAO-branded toys that Toys "R" Us once sold as a house brand, our girls have never experienced an FAO Schwarz store. Might have to make another trip to NYC soon...