As we move into Fall, there’s a ton of great content arriving on Netflix in September, and THE ROCK FATHER Magazine has the full rundown on what’s coming to the streaming service… and when. This month I’m also marking a collection of “Rock Father Picks,” selections that I just dig for one reason or another. Some of those lean to the spookier side of things, because Halloween is just two months from today! Here’s what’s new on Netflix for September 2015…
- 72 Dangerous Animals: Australia: Season 1 Australia is full of dangerous animals – but which creature is our country’s deadliest? From the Freshwater Crocodile to the Cane Toad, we’re counting down to the most dangerous Aussie animal.
- ROCK FATHER PICK! Arthur: Season 17 Based on the books by Marc Brown, these are the adventures of Arthur, an 8-year-old aardvark, and his family and friends as they grow up and learn how to be good neighbors to one another.
- Avengers Confidential: Black Widow & Punisher (2014) When the Punisher takes out a black-market weapons dealer, he stumbles upon a farreaching terrorist plot devised by a group known as Leviathan.
- Battle Creek: Season 1 Two detectives with different views on the world team up and using cynicism, guile and deception, they clean up the streets of Battle Creek.
- Blackbird (2014) Even as Mississippi teen Randy Rousseau maintains a virtuous lifestyle, he’s troubled by dreams and daydreams that eventually lead to the realization that he’s gay, bringing him into direct conflict with his conservative Baptist upbringing.
- Capital C (2014) Three independent creators use the hottest new tool for raising money, crowdfunding, to try to make their dreams come true in the digital age.
- Combustion (2013) Racing addict Navas funds his passion by engineering robberies with his girlfriend, but their schemes fall apart when they target the wrong couple.
- Da Jammies: Season 1 While enrolled at a performing arts middle school, five talented tweens band together to form a hip-hop and R&B group in this animated musical series.
- Divorce Corp. (2014) This arresting documentary examines the aspirations and failures of the nation’s family court laws, regarded by many as brutal and deeply flawed.
- Giggle and Hoot’s Best Ever! (2014) Best friends Giggle and Hoot share their adventures and open their crazy house to guests, silliness, dance, and music that kids can enjoy.
- Hamlet (1990) Shakespeare’s brooding, medieval Dane, Hamlet (Mel Gibson), senses something rotten in the state of Denmark; specifically, he smells a rat behind his royal father’s death. Hamlet’s mother (Glenn Close) may be complicit in the tragedy, while ill-fated Ophelia (Helena Bonham Carter) is an innocent bystander in love with the young prince. A wonderful supporting cast includes Ian Holm as Polonius and Alan Bates as Claudius. Franco Zeffirelli directs.
- Hardball (2001) Gambler and all-around slouch Conor O’Neill owes someone a lot of money, so he strikes a bargain: he’ll coach a Little League baseball team from Chicago’s notorious Cabrini Green housing project if a friend will lend him money to square his debts.
- Heather McDonald: I Don’t Mean To Brag (2014) Heather McDonald just doesn’t hold back on anything, especially when recounting the many ways she attempts to balance fame and family. Really, what’s a mother to do when her young son suggests she gives up chardonnay for Lent? Smart, funny and with a definite edge, her laugh-out-loud irreverent storytelling comes to life in this, her first comedy special.
- Lawrence of Arabia: Restored Version (1962) This Oscar-winning epic tells the true story of T.E. Lawrence, who helped unite warring Arab tribes to strike back against the Turks in World War I.
- Los hombres también lloran: Season 1 This romantic comedic series follows Javier, a doctor who has everything — great career, beautiful wife, nice home — until he suddenly doesn’t.
- ROCK FATHER PICK! Masters of the Universe (1987) The wildly popular 1980s action figures spawned cartoon show, a comic book and finally this live-action feature film. Dolph Lundgren plays the cosmic hero He-Man, who comes to earth to prevent Skeletor (Frank Langella) and Evil-Lyn (Meg Foster) from taking over the planet. The supporting cast includes Billy Barty and Courteney Cox in her feature debut. Bill Conti (Rocky) provides the music.
- Mississippi Damned (2009) While growing up in rural Mississippi, three children from an impoverished black family with a long history of violence, addiction and abuse separately attempt to escape their suffocating circumstances but encounter devastating setbacks.
- ROCK FATHER PICK! Mister Rogers’ Neighborhood: Volume 1 Fred Rogers explores various topics for young viewers through presentations and music both in his world and in the Neighborhood of Make-Believe.
- Mouk: Season 1 Mouk is an animated series for young children about a little bear called Mouk who travels the world on his bike. This educational preschool show teaches kids and toddlers about diversity, cultures and the importance of keeping an open mind.
- Our Man in Tehran (2013) Following close on the heels of Hollywood’s version of the 1979 Iran hostage crisis (Argo), this documentary focuses on Canada’s role in the ordeal, revealing new details about the efforts of the Canadian ambassador and the CIA to save six Americans.
- Pandas: The Journey Home (2014) Get an extraordinary look inside China’s Wolong Panda Center, where giant pandas bred in captivity are prepared to be released into the wild. Person of Interest: Seasons 1-3 This crime-thriller series follows ex-CIA agent John Reese and enigmatic billionaire Mr. Finch as they use Finch’s own invention — computer software that can predict future events — to prevent violent crimes before they occur. *Season 4 arriving on 9/22
- Puffin Rock: Season 1 – NETFLIX ORIGINAL Join the adventures of Oona and Baba as they explore Puffin Rock.
- ROCK FATHER PICK! Rambo: First Blood (1982) Targeted by a small-town sheriff, former Green Beret and Vietnam vet John Rambo reaches his breaking point and launches a guerilla response. His skills overwhelm the police, who call in Rambo’s old commanding officer to help defuse the situation.
- Rambo: First Blood Part II (1985) Rambo, freed from prison to help the government find proof of P.O.W.s still being held in Vietnam, turns the recon job into a rescue mission. The jungle becomes a bloodbath as the vengeful veteran takes down anyone who gets in his way.
- Rambo III: Ultimate Edition (1988) Now living in a Buddhist monastery, Rambo refuses when his friend and mentor Col. Trautman seeks his help in an operation in Afghanistan. But when Trautman is captured, Rambo launches a one-man rescue mission and runs afoul of a Russian commander.
- Shake the Dust (2014) This break dancing-filled documentary crosses national borders to explore how global hip-hop culture transcends social and political differences.
- Sleepy Hollow (1999) New York detective Ichabod Crane is sent to Sleepy Hollow to investigate a series of mysterious deaths in which the victims are found beheaded. But the locals believe the culprit to be none other than the ghost of the legendary Headless Horseman.
- Such Good People (2014) While house-sitting for rich humanitarian friends, gay couple Richard and Alex find a huge stash of cash in the residence. When the homeowners die in a car crash, altruism and greed collide as Richard and Alex try to decide what to do with the money.
- The Adventures of Sharkboy & Lavagirl (2005) Rejected by his classmates, a 10-year-old dreamer invents two imaginary friends — powerful Sharkboy and fire-producing Lavagirl — but soon learns they aren’t imaginary when they call on him to help defeat the nefarious Mr. Electric. The League: Season 6 Fantasy football tackles reality in this semi-scripted look at a group of longtime friends whose annual hobby gives them an excuse to get together and escape their everyday lives in a blitz of trash-talking, deceit and ruthless extortion.
- ROCK FATHER PICK! (Fred Dekker’s film is one of my favorite movies of all-time) The Monster Squad (1987) Dracula, the Wolfman, Frankenstein, the Mummy and Gill Man descend on a tiny town in search of a diabolically powerful amulet. But only 12-year-old Sean and his gang of monster-obsessed misfits can save the day in this overlooked 1987 horror comedy.
- Up in the Air (2009) Ryan Bingham racks up miles flying around the country firing employees on behalf of companies. But he faces losing the job he savors to recent college grad Natalie Keener – and losing the ability to escape emotional ties to anything.
- Zathura (2005) After discovering a mysterious game in the basement of their house, two pint-sized brothers are sent flying into space, where they must finish the game by reaching the planet Zathura — or be trapped in galactic limbo forever. Zoo Clues: Season 1 Amazing animal facts and fun trivia for children, adults, and families.
- Black or White (2014) Still reeling from his wife’s death, Elliot Anderson struggles to maintain custody of his biracial granddaughter when her grandmother begins pushing to have the girl sent back to her father — a crack addict Elliot blames for his daughter’s demise.
- Miss Julie (2014) At her family’s rural estate, young Julie spars with and seduces her father’s handsome valet in an intense encounter that stretches over the course of a summer night before reaching a shocking conclusion.
- Drumline: A New Beat (2014) A feisty girl defies her parents, classmates and rivals in her quest to lead her school’s drumline and help it reclaim its former distinction.
- Baby Daddy: Season 4 (new episodes) A 20-something bachelor bartender becomes an unlikely parent when an ex-girlfriend leaves a baby girl on his doorstep.
- Bad Night (2015) When Kate (Lauren Luthringshausen) and Abby (Jenn McAllister) are mistaken for famous art thieves (Juillianna Guill and Judy Marte), their fun night out quickly goes from good to bad, and Mrs. Goldstein’s (June Diane Raphael) boring class field trip turns into the trip of their lives. But now they have to contend with a rollerskating Russian Mobster (Matt Walsh), a “method painter” with one ear (Adam Pally), a pregnant tattoo artist (Casey Wilson) and The Collector, a Bond girl turned Bond villain (Molly Ringwald). Whether or not the BFFs can survive is as much a question as whether or not their friendship can.
- Madame Secretary: Season 1 Ex-CIA agent Elizabeth McCord is living the quiet life of an academic when a plane crash and a presidential request present a challenge she cannot refuse, and she finds herself thrust into the spotlight as the newly appointed secretary of state.
- Melissa & Joey: Season 4 (new episodes) Single politician Melissa has her life turned upside-down when she is made guardian of her niece, Lennox, and nephew, Ryder. She hires Joe, an unemployed stockbroker, as a live-in “manny” (male nanny) to help out, a job he hopes will be temporary.
- Space Dandy: Season 2 The cosmic and comic adventures of Space Dandy, a handsome space explorer tasked to tour the universe and discover new alien beings.
- 6 Years (2015) – NETFLIX EXCLUSIVE As a volatile young couple who have been together for six years approach college graduation, unexpected career opportunities threaten their future. Love At First Fight (2014) When he meets the intense, muscular and beautiful Madeleine Beaulieu on France’s southwest coast, mild-mannered Arnaud Labrède becomes obsessed with her — so much so that when she signs up for a military training course, he follows suit.
- Teen Beach Movie 2 (2015) Modern day teens Mack and Brady get a real world visit from Lela, Tanner, Butchy, and other surfer and biker pals from the beach party film within a film, Wet Side Story.
- Fugitivos: Season 1 Julián and Esperanza, both unjustly imprisoned, form a passionate bond behind bars and conceive a daring scheme to prove their innocence.
- Longmire: Season 4 – NETFLIX ORIGINAL Based on the Walt Longmire mystery novels by Craig Johnson, this contemporary crime thriller focuses on a Wyoming sheriff who’s rebuilding his life and career following the death of his wife.
- About Elly (2009) After years abroad, Ahmad returns to his native Iran to recover from his recent divorce, where he joins some old pals on a trip to the Caspian Sea. His friends also invites Elly, a young teacher who may be the cure for Ahmad’s broken heart.
- God Bless the Child (2015) When their depressive mother abruptly disappears, five children are left to their own devices, with 13-year-old Harper assuming the role of caretaker.
- Madame Bovary (2014) In this faithful adaptation of Gustave Flaubert’s immortal novel, young Emma Bovary’s passions overwhelm her solemn vows of marriage when the dashing Marquis d’Andervilliers captivates her heart, ultimately leading her down the path to ruin.
- It Happened Here (2015) Through the intimate portraits of five student survivors, IT HAPPENED HERE exposes the alarming pervasiveness of sexual assault on college campuses, the institutional cover-ups and the failure to protect students, and follows their fight for accountability and change on campus and in federal court.
- ROCK FATHER PICK! Portlandia: Season 5 Fred Armisen and Carrie Brownstein send up the righteous, artistically inclined and 100% organic residents of Portland, Ore., in this sketch-based comedy series. Typical targets include artisanal light bulbs, feminist bookstores and indie rock.
- The Roughnecks (2014) Kids and coaches put it all on the line as the Ridglea Roughnecks of Fort Worth, Texas, fight to win their peewee football league’s championship.
- Why Did I Get Married? (2007) In this big-screen adaptation of Tyler Perry’s stage hit, eight married college friends gather for a weeklong reunion in the snowy mountains of Colorado. But a startling revelation of infidelity sets off a chain reaction of soul searching.
- Comedy Bang! Bang!: Season 4 (part 2) Scott Aukerman brings his popular podcast Comedy Bang! Bang! to television. Scott writes and stars in the series along with his co-host and bandleader, Reggie Watts, while featuring celebrity guests playing either themselves or characters.
- Pixies (2014) Joe Beck has lost the love of his life thanks to a Pixie’s Curse and he now needs to figure out how to get his girl back, learn more about the mysterious Pixies and undo a bad deed he did long ago.
- Call the Midwife: Series 4 Chronicles the lives of a group of midwives living in East London in the late 1950s to early 1960s.
- Closer to the Moon (2015) A Romanian police officer teams up with a small crew of old friends from the World War II Jewish Resistance to pull off a heist by convincing everyone at the scene of the crime that they are only filming a movie.
- Cowspiracy: The Sustainability Secret (2014) – NETFLIX EXCLUSIVE Learn how factory farming is decimating the planet’s natural resources– and why this crisis has been largely ignored by major environmental groups.
- Kambu: Season 1 Kambu is the new maildog, and he wants to make some friends. However, it’s going to be a little more difficult than he thought because the inhabitants of this outpost are… just too darn peculiar. And the work keeps mounting up and there’s always a package to deliver.
- Rubble Kings (2015) Through archival footage Nicholson tells the story of the real Warriors that walked the streets of New York City in the 1970s and the harsh reality of gang life in a city that seemed to be falling apart.
- Sin Senos no Hay Paraiso: Season 1 This telenovela is about a girl named Catalina who lives in Columbia and tries several ways to earn money for massive breast implants.
- The Bank Job (2008) A thief gets in over his head when he breaks into a bank vault full of cash, gems… and secrets on everyone from the London mob to the royal family. But the crime itself is just the beginning in this pulse-pounding thriller based on actual events.
- The Road Within (2015) After his mother’s death, a young man afflicted with Tourette’s syndrome is packed off to a treatment clinic, where he cooks up an impetuous scheme to transport his mom’s ashes to the California coast.
- Zoobabu: Season 1 It’s a bird… It’s a bear… It’s Zoobabu! A playful lively box and 104 lighthearted animals collaborate to bring you the funniest animated guessing game. Step by step, hint by hint, the box will give the clues to find out which animal is hiding inside the box:Zoobabu!
- Moonrise Kingdom (2012) Wes Anderson’s quirky drama follows the frantic search that ensues in a small New England town when two 12-year-olds fall in love and run away together. As the townsfolk hunt for the vanished kids, a storm causes even more profound communal upheaval.
- Reservation Road (2007) The lives of Ethan and his wife, Grace, are thrown into chaos after their 10-year-old son is killed in a hit-and-run accident. When the case stalls, Ethan makes it his mission to hunt down and punish the person responsible.
- The Blacklist: Season 2 After turning himself in to the FBI, brilliant fugitive Raymond Reddington offers to help capture other criminals, but only if the bureau plays by his rules — which include teaming with rookie profiler Elizabeth Keen.
- The Fosters: Season 3 Teenager Callie Jacobs is placed in a foster home with a lesbian couple and their blend of biological, adoptive and foster children.
- The Mysteries of Laura: Season 1 A single mom NYPD homicide detective cracks case after case while raising wild twin boys and locking horns with her less than helpful police detective ex-husband.
- ROCK FATHER PICK! Keith Richards: Under the Influence (2015) – NETFLIX ORIGINAL Keith Richards: Under the Influence is unparalleled in its access as it looks at one of the architects of rock ‘n’ roll music, while charting the journey of Keith’s sound and influences, back to the music that inspired him then and now – electric blues, country honky-tonk, southern soul, and more – as he creates his first solo album in 23 years.
- ROCK FATHER PICK! Gotham: Season 1 In this new crime-thriller series, it tells the origin story behind Commissioner James Gordon’s epic rise to prominence in turbulent Gotham City in the previous years before Batman’s arrival.
- The Following: Season 3 When escaped serial killer Joe Carroll goes on a new killing spree, reclusive former FBI agent Ryan Hardy is called in, having captured Carroll nine years ago. Hardy soon discovers that Carroll has a loyal following of killers ready to terrorize.
- Person of Interest: Season 4 This crime-thriller series follows ex-CIA agent John Reese and enigmatic billionaire Mr. Finch as they use Finch’s own invention — computer software that can predict future events — to prevent violent crimes before they occur.
- Philomena (2013) Floundering BBC journalist Martin Sixsmith and aging Irishwoman Philomena Lee form an unlikely bond when they pair up to find the son Philomena was forced to give up for adoption 50 years ago.
- SMOSH: The Movie (2015) From the creators of SMOSH, Ian and Anthony go inside the YouTube portal to delete an embarrassing video of Anthony before his high school crush, Anna, has the chance to see it. They run into one YouTube celebrity after another on their quest to rewrite history before their high school reunion.
- The Loft (2015) Five married co-owners of an upscale loft enjoy their investment as a discreet hideaway for their adulterous pursuits. But when a murdered woman is discovered in the apartment, each suspects the others of committing the grisly killing.
- Iris (2014) At 93, fashion legend Iris Apfel is clearly still at the top of her game — supervising the dress selections for a tour, advising models and negotiating with buyers — in this affectionate documentary by Albert Maysles, himself an octogenarian.
- Blue Bloods: Season 5 A clan of New York’s finest takes center stage in this TV drama, which follows cops Danny and Jamie Reagan and their lawyer sister Erin as they try to live up to the standards of patriarch Frank — who is also the NYC police commissioner.
- Hawaii Five-0: Season 5 Detectives Steve McGarrett, Daniel “Danno” Williams, and Chin Ho Kelly are reborn for a new generation in this update of one of television’s iconic hits. The trio may work in paradise, but there’s enough crime here to keep them working overtime.
- Parenthood: Season 6 Four grown siblings juggle parenthood, relationships, careers and more as they cope with life’s ups and downs in this family drama set in Berkeley, Calif. Meanwhile, their parents face an unraveling marriage and their own parenting challenges.
- VeggieTales in the House: Season 1 (New Episodes) – NETFLIX ORIGINAL The exciting new adventures of Bob the Tomato, Larry the Cucumber, and all their Veggie friends as you’ve never seen them before in the house
- The Canyons (2013) While calculating young movie producer Christian makes films to keep his trust fund intact, his actress girlfriend, Tara, hides an affair. But a chance meeting thrusts them into a violent, sexually charged tour through the dark side of human nature.
- The Walking Dead: Season 5 In the wake of a zombie apocalypse that desolates the world as we know it, a group of survivors led by police officer Rick Grimes holds on to the hope of humanity by banding together to wage a never-ending fight for their own survival.
- Bones: Season 10 Socially awkward forensic anthropologist Dr. Temperance “Bones” Brennan teams up with intuitive FBI agent Seeley Booth to investigate crimes that have left scant evidence behind: namely, the bones of the deceased.
- Mandela: Long Walk to Freedom (2013) Golden Globe-winner Idris Elba stars as Nelson Mandela in this in-depth biopic that portrays the groundbreaking South African leader from his rural childhood through his long imprisonment to his election as the country’s first black president.
- ROCK FATHER PICK! Monster High: Boo York (2015) It’s fright lights, big city when the Monster High ghouls head to Boo York! Cleo de Nile is invited to attend a fancy gala celebrating the return of a magical comet and, of course, she brings along her beast friends. But their trip isn’t all fun and frightseeing because Nefera, Cleo’s sister, uses the comet’s powers for her own spooktacularly sneaky plans.
- ROCK FATHER PICK! RL Stine’s Monsterville: Cabinet of Souls (2015) Dare to enter a mysterious realm, where the cost of admission just might be your soul. From the dark imagination of renowned author R.L. Stine and starring Dove Cameron (Descendants), Katherine McNamara (Maze Runner: The Scorch Trials), Ryan McCarten (Liv and Maddie), and Tiffany Espensen (Kirby Buckets) comes an original chilling adventure.
- Agatha Christie’s Poirot: Series 12 From England to Egypt, accompanied by his elegant and trustworthy sidekicks, the intelligent yet eccentrically-refined Belgian detective Hercule Poirot pits his wits against a collection of first class deceptions.
- Leafie: A Hen into the Wild (2011) A hen named Leafie, who dreams of hatching one of her own eggs, gets the chance when she’s entrusted with an orphaned duck egg.
- Midnight’s Children (2012) Based on the acclaimed novel by Salman Rushdie, this epic drama tells the story of two infants switched at birth in 1947, the year of India’s independence from Great Britain. One boy is wealthy, the other poor, and their lives become intertwined.
- Murdoch Mysteries: Season 4-7 In the 1890s, William Murdoch uses radical forensic techniques for the time, including fingerprinting and trace evidence, to solve some of the city’s most gruesome murders.
- Ned Rifle (2014) Henry and Fay’s son Ned sets out to find and kill his father for destroying his mother’s life. But his aims are frustrated by the troublesome Susan, whose connection to Henry predates even his arrival in the lives of the Grim family.
THE ROCK FATHER is part of the Netflix #StreamTeam, bringing you viewing tips, programming news and adventures on a monthly basis.