With Thanksgiving just two weeks away, it’s time to drop the curtain on a variety of rockin’ recipes courtesy of my friends at The J.M Smucker Company – several of which I’ve personally made. Now, I’m not saying anyone should start calling me “Chef” just yet, but I’m learning, and I’m sharing some potentially tasty creations. First up, Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Maple Bacon Dressing. Yes, yes, I know – “brussels sprouts” – and I can’t say that I was a fan, either – but this recipe makes brussels sprouts good. And not only have I made it, I’ve eaten it, too – and on more than one occasion. Here we go…
Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Maple Bacon Dressing
Makes: 6 to 8 servings
Preparation Time: 30 Minutes
Cooking Time: 30 Minutes
· 6 slices bacon, chopped
· 1/3 cup Hungry Jack® Original Syrup
· 2 tbsps. finely chopped shallots
· 1 tbsp. apple cider vinegar
· 1 tbsp. Dijon mustard
· 1/2 tsp. pepper
· 2 lbs. Brussels sprouts, trimmed and halved
· 2 tbsps. Crisco® Pure Olive Oil
· 1 tbsp. water
· 1/2 tsp. salt
· 1/4 cup toasted pecans, chopped (optional)
1. COOK bacon in medium skillet over medium heat until crisp. Transfer bacon to plate lined with paper towels. Reserve 3 tablespoons bacon drippings in skillet. Add syrup, shallots, vinegar, mustard and pepper. Bring to boil over medium high heat, stirring constantly. Simmer 5 minutes. Remove from heat. Keep warm.
2. HEAT oven to 500°F. Line 15 x 10 x 1-inch baking sheet with foil. Toss Brussels sprouts with oil, water and salt in large bowl until evenly coated. Arrange, cut side down, on prepared pan. Cover tightly with foil.
3. BAKE 10 minutes. Remove foil. Cook an additional 10 to 12 minutes until Brussels sprouts are browned and tender. Toss with warm dressing. Top with reserved bacon and pecans, if desired.
In the end, you’ll have have this beautiful dish – one that puts a fresh, elegant and tasty spin on a veggie that could always use a few new fans.
Pictured: James Zahn (The Rock Father) with Cindy Orley of Akron Ohio Moms.
In October, my friends from The J.M Smucker Company flew me to their headquarters in Orrville, Ohio for their Holiday Traditions Blogger Event. Throughout the 2013 Holiday Season, I will be sharing with you some Holiday Tips that I learned while I was there – a collection of helpful information, recipes, and more that will help you Rock Your Holidays, while creating some memorable meals.