The X-Files has now been around for 25 years, and when it was at its peak, I was a massive fan. I was that back in 1998, I was that guy that had to have The X-Files Movie on “letterbox” VHS to preserve the widescreen cinematic format in the time before DVD and flat screen TVs. At that same time, I distinctly recall purchasing a set of X-Files Barbie dolls by Mattel – Ken and Barbie as Mulder and Scully. Fast-forward two decades and I believe our set is long gone (sold at some point along the way, or stashed in a box somewhere), but now it’s happening again… but this time it’s not Ken and Barbie doing cosplay, but new X-Files Barbie dolls crafted to resemble Special Agents Fox Mulder (David Duchovny) and Dana Scully (Gillian Anderson). The duo are available to order right now.
Inspired by the hit sci-fi series, this doll assortment includes: Barbi The X-Files Agent Fox Mulder doll, and Barbie The X-Files Agent Dana Scully doll. Each doll wears their signature looks from the ‘90s – dark suits, “FBI” ID and badge. Fans can relive Mulder and Scully’s investigations of unexplained, mind-bending cases with each of the series-influenced Barbie dolls, both arriving with a doll stand and Certificate of Authenticity.
Along with the news that The X-Files are back with Barbie comes some further announcements from the crew at 20th Century Fox Consumer Products ahead of the big 25th Anniversary…
In addition, starting today, fans have a chance to stump fellow X-Philes with their own trivia questions highlighting the various mythologies, unearthly conspiracy theories, and memorable Mulder and Scully moments. From now through September 6th, fans are encouraged to submit their most probing, challenging and interesting questions (and answers!) via Shop.Fox.com for the chance to receive an exclusive X-Files prize pack and have their question included in “The Truth is Out There Trivia Contest.”
On the series’ 25th anniversary on September 10th, “The Truth is Out There Trivia Contest” will officially land on Shop.Fox.com. Participants who answer the most questions correctly, before the contest closes on September 17th, will automatically be entered to receive “The X-Files” 25th Anniversary Prize Pack – which includes the Barbie® The X-Files™ Agent Fox Mulder and Barbie® The X-Files™ Agent Dana Scully dolls.
For the series’ anniversary, 20th Century Fox Consumer Products has collaborated with other key licensees as well as creating its own exclusive line of merchandise, including a 25th Anniversary glow-in-the-dark tee and poster, an enamel pin, and transforming mug, now available to fans on Shop.Fox.com
- IDW Publishing – Ongoing X-Files publishing partner, IDW Publishing releases a 25th anniversary comic, The X-Files: Case Files. Under this banner, faithful fans will see the release of numerous micro-series, featuring stories that explore X-Files of the past and present by top talent from comics and prose!
- Loot Crate – To celebrate the 25th anniversary of X-Files, Loot Crate, the leading subscription commerce platform for fans, will feature X-Files related items in its September “Invaders” themed Loot Crate, Loot Crate DX, and Loot Wear product lines – including an exclusive “X-Files Dimensional Poster” collectible in Loot Crate DX that commemorates Mulder’s iconic “The Truth is Out There” poster!
- Rizolli – The latest collaboration with Rizolli lets fans revisit Fox Mulder and Dana Scully’s unexplained, mind-bending cases with “The X-Files” 2019 Wall Calendar. Featuring images from their investigations, the calendar showcases the series’ classic storylines, including alien abductions, the threat of the Fiji Mermaid, the New Jersey Devil and more.
- Upper Deck – The new Legendary Encounters: The X-Files Deck Building Game gives fans the chance to investigate the X-Files and work to unravel the greater conspiracy behind them. As Mulder, Scully, Skinner, Doggett or Reyes, players can recruit other agents, uncover evidence and fight enemies to face the final challenge – the conspiracy’s vicious “End Game!”
- Additional must-have items include: The X-Files Origins (Volumes 1 and 2) from Macmillan Publishers, Quirk Books’ The X-Files: Earth Children Are Weird, The Coop’s X-Files Case Journal and Evidence Bag Lunch Tote, Hallmark’s Mulder and Scully-inspired plush toys from their itty bittys® line, action figures from Diamond Supply, and coming soon from Rittenhouse Archives, The X-Files Trading Cards.
The truth is out there…