Not long ago, I walked into Walmart and found my attention immediately grabbed by a colorful display that reached out to me and said, “Come here, Dear Consumer! Come, Rock Father! Explore my explosion of color!” Now, it didn’t actually have a voice, but I’m anthropomorphizing it anyway, if only because it got me into trouble when I came home. This display, prominently-featured at the front of the Back-to-School department, was touting a new line of “Colors for Every Occasion” by CRAYOLA, and damn if I didn’t let the “Collect Them All! (While Supplies Last)” tagline grab the crayon-loving kid in me. But it’s for my children.
10 new collections of colors, each themed around a certain hue or shade. I thought about it… took a couple of steps back… went to scan a package (no price on the display) and learned that these were only .78 a package. So, for $7.80 I bought one of each for Addie.
And then I picked up a DISNEY JUNIOR coloring book that featured both SOFIA THE FIRST and DOC McSTUFFINS… I was bound to be a hero at home! Or maybe not… but here’s the run-down on the 10 packs:
- True Blue – Blue moods for faithful friendships.
- Pretty Pink – Perfect pinks for bountiful beauty.
- Hello Sunshine – Warm yellows for getting mellow.
- Savvy Sand – Smart shades for worldly wisdom.
- Keen Green – Emerald hues for funky foliage.
- Playful Purple – Violet tints for hipster tricks.
- Nifty Neon – Vigorous hues for good vibrations.
- Peppy Pastel – Wispy tints for zippy trips.
- Shady Gray – Serious shades for sharing secrets.
- Red Hot – Firey tones for radical revels.
By the time I got home, I opened the bags and showed my wife. “You are compulsive,” she tells me. “You can’t walk into a store without buying something for the girls.” Guilty as charged. So Addie got to keep the crayons, but the coloring book was stashed for her birthday (this week).
What can I say? I use coloring books, too, and I’m big into having a variety of colors on my palette. With Back-to-School officially upon us, these limited-edition colors are Rock Father-Approved!
For more rock delivered daily, including the latest in great music, cool toys, and fun for the whole family – “like” The Rock Father on Facebook.