It’s been a busy week for The Rock Father™, hence my keeping up with all the music news hitting my inbox has been slower than usual. I’ve been working on a ‘secret’ project for one of my favorite bands (I’ll blog about it sooner or later) since last week, so it’s time for some catching up here on the site – another edition of The Random Rock N’ More. This is the column where I blast through updates on tons of artists from the rock world (everything from indie and folk to thrash, black metal, and pop fare), then drop in the “N’ More” for some non-rock musical goodness to expand those musical horizons. Each update comes with a link to learn more. That said, here’s the updates for Saturday, April 7, 2012. Be careful tonight, folks – rumor has it that a man-sized rabbit might be on the loose.
Friends of the Family:
– DIRGE WITHIN are releasing their new album entitled THERE WILL BE BLOOD this coming Tuesday, April 10th. There is still time to snag a pre-order bundle featuring a CD and T-shirt for only $20 via Third Degree Merch. You can also pre-order from Barnes & Noble, FYE, Amazon, or Best Buy.
–OFF BROADWAY USA have posted some video screen grabs from their 35th Anniversary Kick-off show that took place last Friday night at Viper Alley. Check them out here.
The Random Rock:
- Hollywood Waste has announced a June 5 release date for the IT BOYS debut album INTRODUCTION. Check out their video for Guy’s Don’t Like Me here.
- DRUMmagazine.com has posted yet another feature on LAMB OF GOD drummer Chris Adler.
- 3 INCHES OF BLOOD have posted their fourth studio webisode here.
- Three songs from SLAYER will be coming to the Rock Band Music store next week. If you’re still playing Rock Band, grab Raining Blood, Seasons in the Abyss, and South of Heaven as DLC for XBOX 360 and Playstation 3 next week!
- IDES OF GEMINI are streaming a new track called Starless Midnight over at Pitchfork.
- 2-piece rockers IAMDYNAMITE will release their debut LP SUPERMEGAFANTASTIC on June 5th. Get a taste via their video for “Stereo.”
- FLEMING, a band that are 2/3 doctors (seriously, a neurosurgeon and an orthopedic surgeon to be exact) a have a new video out for their song “Slip.” Watch it.
- JOB FOR A COWBOY are streaming their new record in it’s entirety over at Revolver. DEMONOCRACY hits stores April 10 via Metal Blade Records.
- ARSIS has announced Shawn Priest as the full-time replacement for recently departed drummer, Mike VanDyne. Check out a preview of his playing here.
- Indie rockers IMAGINE DRAGONS recently wrapped an episode of AUDIO-FILES, and the performance is now online.
- Jeff Loomis is streaming a new song called “Chosen Time” over at Guitar World.
- Arizona’s TOAD recently wrapped a short tour and are putting together a new EP. Get updates on Facebook.
- BLACK SPIDERS have a new video out for “Kiss Tried to Kill Me.” Inspired by THE WARRIORS, you can see the vid at Crave Online.
- Matt Byrne of HATEBREED and Corey Pierce of GOD FORBID will be doing a drum clinic in NYC on April 19th. The action takes place at The Collective School of Music. Details here.
- INDESTRUCTABLE NOISE COMMAND have a new video for “Fist of Fascista.” Check it.
- California desert death rock trio, TOTIMOSHI, will hit the road again later this month for a short run of West Coast shows. Dates on Facebook.
- DISFIGURING THE GODDESS are streaming a new song called “Daughter of Depths” over at MetalSucks.
- SKELETONWITCH are streaming a new song called “Tragedy of Days” on the Prosthetic Records Bandcamp page.
- WHEN TIGERS FIGHT are streaming a new track called “Kill or Cure” over at Stereokiller.
- Swedish Black Metallers WATAIN will release a 13th Anniversary DVD entitled OPUS DIABLI on June 5th via their official store.
- STONE IRIS will release an EP called ILLUMINATIONS on May 15th. Stream a new track called Hide and Seek on YouTube.
- ORIGIN and Nuclear Blast are having a Facebook contest. Details here.
- MARES OF THRACE are streaming new tracks at Pitchfork and Brooklyn Vegan.
- Canadian Horror Punks THE NEW JACOBIN CLUB will release a new EP called LEFT BEHIND and do a tour in May. Details on their official site.
- A new track from METALOCALYPSE creator Brendon Small’s GALAKTIKON is streaming over at GuitarSquid. The record comes out April 24.
- South African Rocker DILANA has released a single called “Sexaholic.” You may recall her appearance on the TV show Rock Star: Supernova. The song is on iTunes now.
- NEW CASSETTES have released a new album called WINTERHEAD.
- IHSAHN will release EREMITA on June 19th via Candlelight Records.
- THE CULT will tour the U.S. with AGAINST ME! and THE ICARUS LINE in support. No word on if Ian Astbury will be wearing his silly BACK TO THE FUTURE III Western hat (as seen in their new PR pics) on stage. Details at http://thecult.us/
- ARCHIE POWELL & THE EXPORTS will release GREAT IDEAS IN ACTION on May 1.
- UNISONIC — a new band featuring former Helloween vocalist Michael Kiske and guitarist Kai Hansen (Gamma Ray, ex-Helloween) alongside guitarist Mandy Meyer (Asia, Gotthard and Krokus), bassist Dennis Ward and drummer Kosta Zafiriou (both of Germany’s Pink Cream 69) — will be released in North America on May 22, 2012 via Eagle Rock imprint Armoury Records.
- CHERRI BOMB are ramping up promo for their debut album (out next month on Hollywood Records) and have released their first tour webisode, which also features A DAY TO REMEMBER.
- SAINT VITUS have a new video out for Let Them Fall.
- Play the Assassin will reissue the debut album from U.S. CHRISTMAS on May 8th – on vinyl.
- MATT TOKA has released a lyric video for his song “Get Money.” 66,000+ views in less that a week? Crazy!
- KING GIANT, a band I enjoy immensely, have announced plans for a third studio album. Check ’em out on Facebook for Updates.
- EXHUMER are streaming their new album FIRE & DAMNATION over at Stereokiller.
- OTHERWISE have announced a May 8 release date for their album TRUE LOVE NEVER DIES.
- IGNITE will release the OUR DARKEST DAYS LIVE DVD on June 19th.
- MEAT LOAF has announced the MAD, MAD WORLD TOUR to kick off on May 22nd. Dates on Facebook.
- Fania Records has released some new Latin Music anthology sets including titles from Ruben Blades and Hector Lavoe.
- BEN BURGESS has released a video for his new song Party Like a ****star.
- Emerging pop singer DUNCAN released an NCAA “Final Four” inspired video for his Light Up the Sky.
- KAT GRAHAM has posted her SXSW performance of Put Your Graffiti On Me. It’s certainly struck a pop culture chord, as Adele, Kim Kardashian, and Perez Hilton have all posted about it. Personally, I think it’s absolutely terrible. If I had a “Crap” section, that’s where I would file it.
Wait – you want even more? Check back next week!