It’s Memorial Day, and while the BBQ action is about to heat up nearly everywhere, I’m taking the opportunity to catch-up on the goings on from that “Magical World”… the “House of Mouse”… the home to the Muppets, STAR WARS and MARVEL… The Walt Disney Company. There’s been a lot of great news from the various divisions of Disney over the past week, and here’s a round-up that you need to check out!
Disney on the Big Screen:
- MALEFICENT is opening in theaters everywhere on May 30th, and a new batch of video has arrived, with two new clips (“Fairy Godmother” and “In the Clouds” and a featurette (“On the Battlefield”). Check those out, along with all the previously-released video from the Angelina Jolie-starrer in the player below…
- BIG HERO 6 is arriving this November, and the first official trailer and synopsis can be found here on THE ROCK FATHER.
- GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY (one of my most-anticipated of the year) is opening August 1, and the second full-length trailer from James Gunn’s entry into the MARVEL Cinematic Universe can be found below…
Disney Games and Apps:
- DISNEY INFINITY: MARVEL SUPERHEROES (2.0 Edition) is hitting retail this Fall, and the latest trailer looks absolutely fantastic.
The Avengers Play Set is the first play set to be announced for Disney Infinity: Marvel Super Heroes and features Iron Man, Thor and Black Widow, with Captain America, Hawkeye and Hulk sold separately. Players will take the role of earth’s mightiest heroes as they try to put an end to Loki’s cold-hearted plans to invade New York City. Along the way, they will learn that Loki isn’t working alone and that this is but the first step in a villainous plot that threatens the entire planet. The Avengers will need not only their strength and wits, but also the technology and insight of S.H.I.E.L.D. to have any chance of saving the world.
- DOC McSTUFFINS’ PAINT & PLAY has been released for iOS: Paint everything you see in Doc McStuffins’ check-up room – even Doc and Lambie – and then watch it come to life in 3D! Customize textures with your in-app camera and let your inner artist shine!
- MICKEY MOUSE CLUBHOUSE PAINT & PLAY has also been updated for iOS: How will you create your own Clubhouse world? Customize everything you see in Mickey’s kitchen, living room & garden with dozens of paint, markers, stickers & patterns and then watch it all come to life in 3D!
Disney on Television:
A special soccer-themed episode of the Emmy Award-winning “Mickey Mouse” – entitled “O Futebol Classico” and presented ENTIRELY in Portuguese – will premiere FRIDAY, JUNE 6 (7:55 p.m., ET/PT) on Disney Channel. In the comedic cartoon, spectator Mickey must use his quick-wit to find a way to watch a popular soccer championship. Check out a clip…
Emmy Award-winning artist and director Paul Rudish (“Star Wars: Clone Wars,” “Dexter’s Laboratory”) is the executive producer and supervising director. Aaron Springer (“SpongeBob SquarePants, “Gravity Falls”) and Clay Morrow (“Dexter’s Laboratory,” “The Powerpuff Girls”) are directors, and Joseph Holt (“Sym-Bionic Titan”) is the art director. “O Futebol Classico” is directed by Paul Rudish and storyboarded by Alonso Ramirez Ramos.
Disney on Blu-ray and DVD:
- The SLEEPING BEAUTY Diamond Edition Blu-ray on October 7, 2014, complete with never-before-seen bonus features including deleted scenes, and all-new featurettes. This one is going to be a must-own.
- On August 5, SOFIA THE FIRST: THE ENCHANTED FEAST will arrive on DVD, bringing with it a special appearance by Snow White!
There’s more than meets the eye when you join SOFIA THE FIRST for a royally scrumptious adventure! All the monarchs from Enchancia’s neighboring kingdoms have come to watch a dazzling display of magic: First, Cedric will conjure up a fabulous feast. Next, he’ll transform the banquet room into a hall of amazing “morpho-mirrors.” But before the fun begins, wicked Miss Nettle (disguised as “Sascha The Sorceress”) crashes the party with a scheme to steal Sofia’s magical amulet. Can Sofia foil the bad fairy’s plan before it’s too late? Perhaps…with help from Snow White, who reminds her it’s important to trust your instincts. Sparkling with music and excitement — plus four more spellbinding episodes — THE ENCHANTED FEAST may be the fairest of them all!
And finally, STAR WARS fans can enter for a chance to appear in J.J. Abrams’ STAR WARS: EPISODE VII while doing good in the process. Watch the video launch of STAR WARS: FORCE FOR CHANGE below…
From the set of Star Wars: Episode VII, director J.J. Abrams announced the creation of Star Wars: Force for Change, a brand new Star Wars initiative from Disney and Lucasfilm in collaboration with Bad Robot dedicated to finding creative solutions to some of the world’s biggest problems. The first Star Wars: Force for Change campaign will raise funds and awareness for the United Nations Children’s Fund’s (UNICEF) Innovation Labs and its innovative programs that are benefitting the world’s most vulnerable children.
Disney has committed US $1 million to support the launch of Star Wars: Force for Change. Fans can now contribute directly at Omaze.com/StarWars for a chance to appear in Star Wars: Episode VII. For each $10 contribution made through the Omaze fundraising platform, eligible participants will be automatically entered for a chance to win this once-in-a-lifetime experience. The campaign runs from 12:01am PST on May 21stth until 11:59pm PST July 18th.