STAR WARS fans, our time is now. Today, STAR WARS: THE FORCE AWAKENS became the highest grossing film of all time in the domestic market, surpassing the $760.5M lifetime gross of James Cameron’s AVATAR in just 20 days of release hitting the mark nearly 300 days quicker than AVATAR back in 2009. In addition, the film crossed the $800M mark at the international box office today, in a move I like to envision being akin to THE FIRST ORDER positioning Starkiller Base to blast Pandora and the Na’vi. As one of the 25 #StarWarsEvent bloggers, being but a tiny piece of this film’s success is something I will forever cherish having been a part of…
From the Official Announcement:
Through Jan. 5, the film had grossed $758.2M domestically and $799.1M for a global total of $1,557.3M since its Dec. 16 global debut.
STAR WARS: THE FORCE AWAKENS debuted in the US and Canada on Dec. 18, its first two weeks pushing the domestic annual industry box office to an all-time high of $11B. It has set numerous individual records including:
- Fastest film to reach $100M (21 hours), $200M (3 days), $300M (5 days), $400M (8 days), $500M (10 days), $600M (12 days), and $700M (16 days)
- Biggest all-time debut and biggest December debut ($247.966M), propelling the industry to the biggest overall moviegoing weekend of all time ($313.3M for all films, Dec. 18-20)
- Biggest second weekend of all time ($149.2M), propelling the industry to the biggest overall Christmas weekend of all time ($296.4M for all films, Dec. 25-27)
- Biggest third weekend of all time ($90.2M)
- Biggest Thursday preview gross ($57M)
- Biggest Friday, opening, and single day ($119.1M)
- Biggest Sunday ($60.55M), Monday ($40.1M), and Tuesday ($37.3M)
- Biggest Christmas Day ($49.3M) and New Year’s Day ($34.39M)
- Highest per-theater average for a wide debut ($59,982)
- Biggest opening week ($390.85M)
- Biggest IMAX debut ($30.1M)
Globally, the film posted the highest global opening weekend of all time ($528.967M) and surpassed $1B in a record 12 days. It also had the biggest global IMAX debut ($48M) and surpassed $152M in IMAX in a record 19 days. It was the highest international debut in December history with $281M, and it remains #1 in many territories after posting the biggest opening weekend in at least 18 major markets.
Named one of AFI’s top 10 films of 2015, STAR WARS: THE FORCE AWAKENS now heads into its fourth weekend of global release ahead of a debut in its final international market, China, on Jan. 9.
Check out more Exclusive Coverage of the STAR WARS: THE FORCE AWAKENS Launch:
- That’s Right, R2… We’re Going to the Global Press Event for STAR WARS: THE FORCE AWAKENS!
- A Visit to a Galaxy Far, Far Away… or STAR WARS: THE FORCE AWAKENS Global Press Event
- Interview: Harrison Ford (Han Solo)
- Interview: Daisy Ridley (Rey)
- Interview: John Boyega (Finn)
- Interview: Kathleen Kennedy, head of Lucasfilm
- Interview: Oscar Isaac (Poe Dameron) & Lupita Nyong’o (Maz Kanata)
- Interview: Filmmaker J.J. Abrams
- Fandango Family Movie Review – STAR WARS: THE FORCE AWAKENS
For the latest on THE FORCE AWAKENS, Gareth Edwards’ ROGUE ONE, Rian Johnson’s EPISODE VIII and more, keep your browser pointed at TheRockFather.com/StarWars