It was almost a month ago exactly when I reported news that Toys “R” Us Australia was entering voluntary administration. Now comes news that the toy store down under will be facing the same fate as its U.S. counterpart, announcing this morning that they will close all 44 Toys “R” Us and Babies “R” Us stores in Australia, resulting in around 700 jobs lost. The first Australian Toys “R” Us opened back in 1993, with the chain gradually expanding nationwide and adding 11 Babies “R” Us locations to the mix. The most recent news in North America finds Canada moving forward at a brisk pace, while more than 115 parties have shown interest in picking up select IP assets from the U.S. operation.
For those keeping score at home:
- Toys “R” Us USA – Closing, Liquidating
- Toys “R” Us Australia – Closing, Liquidating
- Toys “R” Us UK – Closed/Liquidated
- Toys “R” Us Canada – Saved: Purchased by Fairfax Holdings
- Toys “R” Us Europe – Stores in Germany, Austria, Switzerland purchased by Smyths. Will be converted to Smyths branding.
- Toys “R” Us Europe – Business as usual, nothing to report.
- Toys “R” Us Asia – Business as usual, multiple bidders reported for this business, which includes locations in the Middle East.
- Toys “R” Us Africa – Business as usual, buyers interested, nothing to report.
New Here? Related Stories that You Need to Read:
- Toys “R” Us: A Consumer Warning, A Buyer Walks and Employees “Rise Up” as Trouble Heads Down Under…
- Toys “R” Us Workers Meet with Senator Bernie Sanders and March Against Private Equity as the Legacy of Geoffrey is Further Tarnished…
- A Former Toys “R” Us CEO Surfaces as TRU Preps to sell Geoffrey the Giraffe, Dozens of URLs and Piles of Augmented Garbage…
- Toys “R” Us CEO David Brandon Responds to Critics; Some Store Employees Get Bonuses; More Allege “Sabotage”
- Dark Days in Toyland: Toys “R” Us is Officially Liquidating – Court Approval Granted as Mass Fallout Begins
- Toys “R” Us Has a Stalking Horse Bidder for Canada as US Wind-Down Continues
- It’s Official: Isaac Larian Has Submitted His Bid to Purchase Toys “R” Us, plus other updates from Geoffrey’s House…
- Dan Rather: “Here’s What they Didn’t Tell You About the Toys ‘R’ Us Closings… and How it Ties Back to President Trump”
- Toys “R” Us Fallout Update: As Stores Close, Toys For Tots, other Charities Lose; Crayola, Funko and Others Cry Foul…
- Isaac Larian & Friends Have Officially Launched a Crowdfunding Campaign to #SaveToysRUs
- Toy Killer: It’s Bain Capital Positioning Toys “R” Us to Be a Repeat of KB Toys?
- The Future of Toys “R” Us – What News Will Thursday Hold?
- Strategic Marks Plots Return of KB Toys in the Wake of Toys “R” Us…
- Toys “R” Us Set to Close 180 Stores – Eight Illinois Locations on the List
- It’s Official: Toys “R” Us Has Filed for Chapter 11 Bankruptcy Protection
Stay tuned for a Toys “R” Us Exclusive coming to The Rock Father™ Magazine in the days ahead!