Electric Vehicles (EVs) may not be as ubiquitous as some may have hoped by now, but they’re growing in numbers and have special needs when it comes to basics, including tires.
At CES 2024, The Goodyear Tire & Rubber Company unveiled the ElectricDrive 2, an all-season EV tire “enhanced with sustainable materials, improved rolling resistance, and long-lasting tread life to maximize drivers’ EV performance.”
“With the continued adoption of EVs, we want to meet consumer and market needs with an updated EV replacement tire,” says David Reese, Vice President, Product Development, Goodyear Americas. “We know EV drivers prioritize performance and a more sustainable tire. The ElectricDrive 2 was designed with at least 50% sustainable materials and a focus on providing greater traction and maintaining a quiet ride.”
The all-season tire will launch this May in the U.S.
EV owners can look for 17 sizes designed to fit EV sedans and CUVs, including the Audi Q4 e-tron, Chevy Bolt, Ford Mustang Mach-E, and Tesla Models Y, 3, and S.
ElectricDrive 2 tires feature the following:
- SoundComfort Technology foam inserts that help reduce the level of interior vehicle sound.
- At least 50% sustainable materials, including the use of soybean oil in the tire’s construction, rice husk ash silica, and sustainably sourced natural rubber.
- An asymmetric tread pattern optimized to improve grip and responsiveness on wet and dry roads.
- Long-lasting tread compound, designed with resilience in mind to help EV drivers get more miles out of their tires.
- Aerodynamic sidewall and innovative compound that lowers aerodynamic drag and enables lower rolling resistance.
More information about Goodyear’s ElectricDrive tires can be found here.