Oh, disposable income, how I miss thee…
As the countdown to Mickey Mouse’s 90th Anniversary on November 18th continues, The Walt Disney Company has unveiled a host of new products to mark the occasion, along with some special celebrations set to take place at Disney Parks. Following the announcement of Mickey: The True Original Exhibition, new Mickey Mouse 90th Anniversary Product Launches hitting the scene this week and beyond include collaborations with fashion and footwear brands like Forever 21 and Vault by Vans (pictured top), luxury candy boutique Sugarfina, Brooklyn-based ice cream company Ample Hills Creamery, along with new capsule collections available exclusively at Disney stores and shopDisney.com, commemorative titles from Disney Publishing Worldwide, a line of plush and toys by Just Play and a new Mickey Mouse Brickheadz figure from LEGO.
Earlier this year, Target released a Mickey Mouse collection that spanned apparel for the entire family, treats for pets, toys, summer entertaining pieces, bedding, beach and beauty gear and more, and just last month Marc Jacobs released a series of pieces all inspired by the world’s most iconic mouse.
Walt Disney Animation Studios will celebrate Mickey’s cartoon legacy with the release of “Celebrating Mickey” featuring 13 classic short films on Digital and Blu-ray this fall.
Celebrations at Disney Parks & Resorts
Disney Parks & Resorts will also celebrate Mickey’s 90th birthday with a series of events at all sites around the world, including World’s Biggest Mouse Party – a limited-time, global celebration of Mickey and Minnie:
- Walt Disney World Resort in Florida will celebrate Mickey’s birthday from November 16-18 with special merchandise and food & beverage items as well as the chance for guests to celebrate at Magic Kingdom Park during the Move It! Shake It! Dance & Play It! Street Party, sing “Happy Birthday” along with the Dapper Dans on Main Street, U.S.A., and join in a special birthday dance party at Rockettower Plaza Stage in Tomorrowland. Then in 2019, Walt Disney World will continue celebrating when World’s Biggest Mouse Party comes to the resort.
- Disneyland Resort in California will host a celebration cavalcade for Mickey Mouse on November 18, featuring some of his special friends and the Disneyland Band, starting at “it’s a small world” and pausing for a special moment at Sleeping Beauty Castle before continuing down Main Street, U.S.A., to Town Square. The party continues when World’s Biggest Mouse Party begins at Disneyland Resort in 2019.
- Disney Cruise Line will join the celebration when World’s Biggest Mouse Party takes to the seas in 2019.
- Shanghai Disney Resort will be the first to kick off World’s Biggest Mouse Party with a brand-new Mickey-themed float at the opening ceremony of the Shanghai Tourism Festival on September 15 to commemorate the Shanghai launch of World’s Biggest Mouse Party. At Shanghai Disneyland, a giant birthday card will be installed next to “Storytellers” statue, featuring birthday wishes from Mickey’s pals. From November 16-18, guests will enjoy themed food and merchandise offerings as well as the opportunity to sing “Happy Birthday” to Mickey just before the nighttime spectacular show each evening, all culminating with a special nighttime birthday spectacular at Enchanted Storybook Castle on November 18.
- Hong Kong Disneyland will begin its World’s Biggest Mouse Party activations on Mickey’s birthday, November 18, with commemorative park tickets, special food & beverage and merchandise, a hotel room overlay and “We Love Mickey” projection show through the end of the year. And Hong Kong Disneyland guests will receive special birthday stickers, available only on November 18.
- Tokyo Disney Resort will join the celebration this fall with special decorations and merchandise.
- Disneyland Paris will celebrate the World’s Biggest Mouse Party this fall and into winter with new holiday season entertainment and special surprises.
About Mickey Mouse 90th Anniversary Celebration
Since his big-screen debut in Steamboat Willie on November 18, 1928, Mickey has become the global ambassador for The Walt Disney Company. From the beloved Mickey Mouse Club to today’s Mickey Mouse cartoon shorts, Mickey’s optimistic outlook and endearing personality continue to delight fans around the world every day. The 90-year celebration of Mickey will continue across the Company with a star-studded special on ABC airing November 4, a new season of Mickey Mouse animated shorts on Disney Channel, and more.
These launches are just part of the exciting things in store, so look for more news on Mickey’s 90th right here in the virtual pages of The Rock Father Magazine in the months ahead!