For the past two months, I’ve been following ABC’s THE TOY BOX, an eight-episode competition series in which independent toy inventors battle it out for a chance to have their creations produced by Mattel, with the winning toy to be sold exclusively at Toys “R” Us. Starting with a preview post in which I took an early look at the series alongside mentor and Pixar Consumer Products Creative Director Jen Tan (read it here), each week I’ve been sharing previews of what’s to come on Friday night. As someone who writes about and reviews toys often (both here at The Rock Father™ Magazine and also over at The Toy Insider), I see a lot of new stuff, and that’s why THE TOY BOX has held such a personal appeal. In fact, over the course of the series, a few products pitched to me in early development (as far back as January of 2014) have popped up on the show. Now comes the final Friday – a double-dose of THE TOY BOX, starting with the seventh episode and ending with the final round. On Saturday morning, Toys “R” Us will become the destination to pick up the winning toy. Here’s a preview…
THE TOY BOX – Week Seven – Hopeful inventors seeking an opportunity to earn a coveted spot in the finals present unique toy designs that include a card game that incorporates voice acting, baby’s first robot and a liquid art toy, on an all-new episode of ABC’s THE TOY BOX, airing on FRIDAY, MAY 19 (8:00–9:00 p.m. EDT), on The ABC Television Networ. Sorta like Shark Tank with kids, Modern Family‘s Eric Stonestreet hosts the 8-episode series, while Sophia Grace Brownlee (“The Ellen Degeneres Show”), Aalyrah Caldwell (“Uncle Buck”), Toby Grey (“The Unexpected John Cena Prank”) and Noah Ritter (“The Ellen Degeneres Show”) serve as judges.
This week’s toy inventions include:
- Cock It, Drop It, Rocket – a resettable rocket that uses your own energy as fuel. Inventor: Perry from Fort Lauderdale, Florida
- Noisy Person Cards – party game that encourages creativity, fun and performance skills. Inventors: Kat and James from Chicago, Illinois
- 3D Liquid Art – a fun way to create three-dimensional images out of water. Inventor: Ryan from Phoenix, Arizona
- Pre-Bot – a safe, wooden robot geared toward young children. Inventor: Roderick from Groton, Massachusetts
- Bedtime Storybug – a plush ladybug with the ability to record messages for kids. Inventor: Lori from Overland Park, Kansas
THE TOY BOX Finale:
The finalists from each episode return to The Toy Box where the young judges decide who will have their toy made by Mattel and sold exclusively at Toys”R”Us, on the season finale of ABC’s THE TOY BOX, airing on FRIDAY, MAY 19 (9:00–10:00 p.m. EDT), on The ABC Television Network
Whose toy will get the ultimate pick-up from Mattel? Tune-in to find out!
Want first dibs on the winning toy? Pre-order now from Toys “R” Us!