As I decided to resurrect my old “Random Rock” Column this week, I started looking at the news in my inbox and having flashbacks to a pre-email era. MELVINS… ALICE IN CHAINS… HARVEY DANGER… REVEREND HORTON HEAT? Was it 1997 again? I say that in jest, of course, since I love all of those bands.
Below, you’ll find rapid-fire updates on those artists and more, right here on THE ROCK FATHER.
The Random Rock for July 30, 2014:
- HARVEY DANGER’s 1997 album spawned the massive hit “Flagpole Sitta,” which still gets constant spins daily on radio stations across the country. Now, for the first time ever, WHERE HAVE ALL THE MERRYMAKERS GONE? is available on vinyl from No Sleep records. Order it here.
- The MELVINS will release HOLD IT IN on Ipecac Recordings on October 14. Joining Buzz Osborne and Dale Crover for the 12-song outing are Butthole Surfers’ guitar player Paul Leary and bass player JD Pinkus.
- REVEREND HORTON HEAT has released the new video for “Mad, Mad Heart” off the excellent Victory Records album, REV. See it on VEVO.
- There’s a subtitled documentary from Dutch TV making the rounds about a historic METALLICA gig from 1984. Worth checking out.
- BAYSIDE have teamed up with Equality Rocks at Human Rights Campaign to offer a limited-edition t-shirt with proceeds benefitting LGBT equality organizations. Get the “Bayside Pride” shirt here.
- ALICE IN CHAINS have released a new acoustic performance video of “No Excuses” for GUITAR CENTER SESSIONS, and it’s damn good.
- ENOLA FALL have a new video out for “Lions.”
- FLYLEAF have released a video for “Set Me On Fire.”
- Big Brother Recordings is releasing an expanded, anniversary edition of OASIS’ 1995 album (WHAT’S THE STORY) MORNING GLORY on September 30th. Pre-order the 3-Disc set on Amazon.
- And finally, on September 16, Eagle Rock Entertainment will release Sepultura And Les Tambours du Bronx: Metal Veins – Alive At Rock In Rio, a new live collection from SEPULTURA on CD, DVD and Blu-ray