I get hit with so much music news here at Rock Father HQ that there’s barely any way to cover it – much less a lot of it. That’s why I’m going to make an effort to get my old “Random Rock” column happening on a more frequent basis again. The deal is simple – I’ll start off with a stream or video to enjoy while reading, followed by a list of quick news items from around the music world (though likely with a “rock” focus). If you’d like to know more about a story, a link will be provided to do so. Here we go…
- Chicago’s Nick Shaheen has a new single out called “Flashbulbs” from his recent album, SAUVIGNON. Stream it below:
- FOO FIGHTERS closed out DAVID LETTERMAN’s 33-year LATE NIGHT career, performing “Everlong” as the soundtrack to a six-minute highlight reel at the end of CBS’ LATE SHOW with DAVID LETTERMAN last night.
- TAKING BACK SUNDAY has a new video out for “Better Homes and Gardens.”
- What happens when former NIRVANA bassist Krist Novoselic sits down on-stage with former GUNS N’ ROSES bassist Duff McKagan? You get a conversation about Duff’s new book, HOW TO BE A MAN (AND OTHER ILLUSIONS), along with an accordion-driven version of “Sweet Child O’ Mine.”Watch on YouTube.
- Walt Disney Animation Studios’ FROZEN has been covered at length here on THE ROCK FATHER, right down to a multitude of covers of Idina Menzel’s “Let It Go” (of which I’ve been guilty as well). Now, Brooklyn’s FIN’AMOR has released a dark, FROZEN-inspired number called “I Am Winter,” which premiered at Metal Insider. About the track, vocalist Ben Meyerson states: “I Am Winter is about Elsa’s need to abandon her sister and friends and isolate herself because she’s afraid her powers will hurt the ones she loves.”
- Live footage of Wisconsin’s PRODUCT OF HATE continues to surface after their recent tour with ALLEGAEON and special appearance with HATEBREED in Milwaukee. Check out this clip of “Blood Coated Concrete.” As some of you know, I’m part of the band’s management team. Their debut album, BURIED IN VIOLENCE, is out this summer on NAPALM Records.
- FAITH NO MORE continue making the rounds in support of their long-awaited new album, SOL INVICTUS, and this week footage from their recent Los Angeles run has been appearing on NBC’s LAST CALL with CARSON DALY. “Midlife Crisis,”“Epic,”“Sunny Side Up,” and “Superhero” are all online now.
- FAILURE will release THE HEART IS A MONSTER on June 30th, and ticket sales for their upcoming summer tour dates are happening now over at PledgeMusic.
- Youngster BEA MILLER has a new video out for “Fire and Gold.” The track comes from her debut album, NOT AN APOLOGY, which is out July 24 on Hollywood Records.
- COAL CHAMBER’s RIVALS just came out on NAPALM Records this week, and the band has announced a tour with FEAR FACTORY, and has a new lyric video out for “The Bridges You Burn.” Get tickets and VIP Packages here.
- ANTI-FLAG have a new video out for the song “Brandenburg Gate,” which features an appearance by RANCID’s Tim Armstrong. Their new album, AMERICAN SPRING, is out May 25 on Spinefarm Records.
- PUBLIC IMAGE LTD (PiL) will release their 10th studio album, WHAT THE WORLD NEEDS NOW, on September 4, 2015. Hit their site for Fall Tour Dates.
- ATTILA frontman Chris Fronzak is releasing PARTY PEOPLE’S ANTHEM – his first rap album under the FRONZILLA name on June 30th (via Artery Recordings/Razor & Tie), and now the first single is out, with “They Still Talk.” Don’t stream this one with the kids around (language).
- BULLET FOR MY VALENTINE (pictured top) will release VENOM on August 14 via RCA Records. Check out the lyric video for “No Way Out.”
Stay tuned for more music news on THE ROCK FATHER…