It’s only Tuesday, yet still a fair amount of music news has been hitting my inbox here at Rock Father HQ. While I can’t say anything has been completely mind-blowing, there’s enough here for an early-edition of The Random Rock N’ More, the column where I fire off quick one-line updates on a bunch of artists. If you want to dig deeper, a link is provided. As always, this hits on all areas of ‘rock’ from indie and folk to black metal and grindcore – “Music for Grown-ups” that wouldn’t be featured on the homepage of The Rock Father™ site. Everything is fair game. Here’s your Random Rock for Tuesday, April 10, 2012.
Friends of the Family:
– DIRGE WITHIN has released their sophomore album entitled THERE WILL BE BLOOD. I did the first lyric video for the album, and highly suggest that you buy a copy. Download it now on iTunes via Rocket Science Ventures/THC: Music/Sony RED.
The Random Rock:
- A “lost” track from PANTERA will be heard for the first time at the REVOLVER Golden Gods Awards tomorrow night. On Thursday, April 12 – the song will be available on iTunes. “Piss” comes from the 20th Anniversary Edition of VULGAR DISPLAY OF POWER. Yep, we’re all old.
- Speaking of those Golden Gods, SIXX A.M. will be making their only live appearance of the year on that show. The show will be broadcast on XBOX Live and Facebook starting around 6pm PST on the 11th.
- QUEEN will perform four shows with ADAM LAMBERT handling vocals. Details were revealed via Billboard.
- FEAR FACTORY are streaming a 49-second snippet of a new song called Recharger. The track hits iTunes on April 24th, while the new album THE INDUSTRIALIST will be released on June 5th via Candlelight Records.
- LOSTPROPHETS have signed to Fearless Records, and I’m pretty excited about that. I’ve always dug the band, and news that their fifth album WEAPONS will be released on June 19th is much appreciated.
- The ROCKAPALOOZA Festival in Jackson, Michigan, has announced that BAM MARGERA and BRANDON NOVAK of MTV’s JACKASS will host the 2012 event on June 23rd.
- COUNTING CROWS have released an album of cover songs entitled UNDERWATER SUNSHINE (OR WHAT WE DID ON OUR SUMMER VACATION). Check it out on iTunes.
- SHAI HULUD will begin tracking a new album with producer Chad Gilbert later this month. Metal Blade will handle the eventual release.
- SIX FEET UNDER are streaming a new track called Formaldehyde via Metal Blade Records’ YouTube Channel. This is the first single with their new lineup, and the first track from their new album UNDEAD, which will be released on May 22.
- MATT SKIBA of ALKALINE TRIO can be seen discussing his new band, MATT SKIBA AND THE SEKRETS in this new interview from Absolute Punk.
- Austin-based indie rock singer/songwriter/musician/producer WHITE WIDOW has announced the June 5th release of her fourth self-released CD. A PSYCHOLOGICAL THRILLER will also come with a companion film, a trailer for which can be seen here.
- Sweden’s OCTOBER TIDE have signed a deal with Pulverised Records. A new album will be recorded this Spring.
- Another new track from METALOCALYPSE creator Brendon Small’s GALAKTIKON has been released via Alt Press. Check out Prophecy of the Lazer Witch here.
- WEST OF HELL will release SPIRAL EMPIRE through Reversed Records on May 8th, 2012. On April 19th, you can grab their new single Water of Sorcery on iTunes.
- Swedish death metal veterans, HYPOCRISY have announced plans for their 13th studio album, which is scheduled to release next year on Nuclear Blast Records
- Norwegian black metallers FURZE will release Psych Minus Space Control on May 15th via RedEye USA.
- Denver Grindcore act CATHETER will release their new album called SOUTHERN DOOM VIOLENCE on May 1st via Selfmadegod Records.
- BELPHEGOR will enter Mana Studios in St. Petersburg, Florida next month to begin work on a new album with producer Erik Rutan.
- A variety of artists are featured in a video congratulating Metal Blade on their 30th Anniversary.
- BLUR and GORILLAZ might just be done for good.
- 25-year-old singer-songwriter MELODY GARDOT will release her debut album THE ABSENCE on May 29th via Jazz Label VERVE Records. Check out the album teaser.
- It’s been out for a bit, but THE PREP SCHOOL TRAGEDY are doing a little more promotion for their Thought I Toldja music video.
- KISS played on DANCING WITH THE STARS last night. Funny story? I own the @DWTS account on Twitter, and have since the start. #DWTS really means something else.
- Check out this interesting cover of You Spin Me Round (Like A Record) by DUKE SPECIAL.
More Random Rock N’ More later this week…